Hey everyone, welcome to my recipe site, If you’re looking for recipes idea to cook today, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Choice.
The benefits of healthy eating are these days being given more attention than ever before and there are good reasons for this. There are a lot of diseases linked with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as people suffer from conditions such as heart disease and high blood pressure. Everywhere you look, people are encouraging you to live a healthier lifestyle but then again, you are also being encouraged to rely on convenience foods that can affect your health in a detrimental way. It is likely that a lot of people believe it will take great effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to how they live. It is possible, though, to make a few minor changes that can start to make a good impact on our everyday eating habits.
One initial thing you can do is to pay close attention to the choices you make when you’re shopping because you probably choose many food items out of habit. For example, have you ever checked how much sugar and salt are in your breakfast cereal? One wholesome alternative that can give you a positive start to your day is oatmeal. By putting in fresh fruit, you can improve the flavor and, before you know it, you will have made a good change to your diet.
Hence, it should be somewhat obvious that it’s not difficult to add healthy eating to your everyday life.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to classic northern beef stew recipe. You can cook classic northern beef stew using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to make Classic Northern Beef Stew:
- Use of vegetable oil.
- Get of lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Take of all-purpose flour.
- Use of salt and black pepper.
- Use of beef broth.
- Prepare of red wine.
- Prepare of bay leaf.
- You need of medium onion, cut into wedges (8 pieces).
- Take of large “gold” potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Take of medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Use of large mushrooms, halved.
- Prepare of celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Use of turnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Get of salt and black pepper.
- Take of paprika.
- Get of dried thyme.
- Provide of clove (grated or powdered).
- Prepare of allspice (ground or powdered).
- Provide of tomato paste.
- You need of Marsala wine (optional).
Instructions to make Classic Northern Beef Stew:
- Prepare meat and vegetables before the cooking steps..
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with some bacon grease on the bottom. Pour in enough oil to fill the bottom of pan..
- Place the beef cubes in a brown paper bag and add the flour. Close the bag and shake a few times. [This produces evenly coated and drier beef cubes].
- Dump the beef cubes into the pot and season the beef generously with salt and pepper. Sauté the meat, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. [Add oil if it seems to dry out or stick].
- Add the broth and wine until it covers the meat. Add the bay leaf. Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes..
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and turnips to the pot. Add water (~3 cups) until it reaches 1” below all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and the spices. Cover (slightly ajar) and cook on low-medium heat for 1 hour..
- Remove the pot lid and drain all the pot juices into a medium sized pot. Add the tomato paste to the juices, stir occasionally, and heat until a slight boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and heat uncovered for 10 minutes. [The gravy will begin to thicken a bit].
- Add this “new” gravy back to the large pot so it just reaches the top of the ingredients. [Reserve the rest of the gravy, if any, for another meal].
- Add the Marsala wine, and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow this to rest for 10 minutes before serving..
If you find this Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.